Discover Africa! includes:
- A 19 page Resource and Instruction Guide to help you get started. It's packed full of helpful suggestions, recommended books, and directions for printing and organizing the PDF printables.
- A file containing 54 beautifully designed, blank notebooking pages for each country in Africa.
- A file containing 54 mostly-filled-out notebooking pages for use in a homeschool co-op / classroom setting, or for use with younger children. These pages have most of the areas filled in, but still leave areas of activity for the students.
- A file containing outline maps of the continent of Africa, Africa with countries defined, and individual maps of each country.
- More files containing the individual notebooking and map PDFS merged together so you can print one big book all at once. Both styles (blank & filled out) are included.
- A 7 page file containing all 54 African flags - use these as a color guide when the children color in the flag on the notebooking pages, or shrink them down for use in passports (instructions to make or buy passports is in the Resource Guide).
- A 6 page file packed with beautiful thumbnail photos for children to paste on their notebooking pages. Photos show a wide variety of African peoples in their traditional, ceremonial, or every day dress. Photographers are listed in the Resource Guide with their URLs so your family can explore more of their pictures. Note: We made a huge effort to ensure all photos were 'modest,' or at least 'private areas' were blocked by cropping or objects.
Notebooking pages have the following features
- The country's known name, plus the official name. Eg: Algeria's full, official name is "People's Democratic Republic of Algeria."
- A map showing where the country is in the world.
- A spot to write in the surrounding countries (this area is filled out on the mostly-filled-out pages).
- The country's flag to color. (Use the included flag color guides as needed).
- A sample of a sentence written in the most commonly used language of the country, and an area to write in what the language is.
- An area to paste in included color photos showing the people and what they wear.
- Places to record population, capital city, terrain, government, currency, major religion(s), industry, agriculture, landmarks, and whether or not the country is at war or peace. (All but 3 of these will be filled in on the mostly-filled-in sheets).
- A box to list interesting things about the culture, cuisine, or other interesting facts (this is filled in with some additional space left on the mostly-filled-in sheets).
- Finally, there is a spot to list the page number, and the region of Africa the country is located in.
Flexibility and thoroughness
You can choose to print one country at a time as needed, or print everything in one big 'book.' You might decide to visit the countries alphabetically or by region. It's a very flexible packet that gives you great 'bones' for a wonderful year spent exploring the entire beautiful continent of Africa.
Customers will receive updates whenever I need to change a file, for example if a country changes borders, splits, or revises their flag.
For lots of photos showing how we set up our own Discover Africa! notebook, visit Balancing Everything.