E-junkie Blog
E-junkie FaceBook Page
E-junkie @ Twitter

E-junkie Ecommerce Forums » E-junkie Discussions

Tag Cloud for this topic:

Resending IPN Messages?

Lunatic

Hi,

I need to resend several IPN messages in order to update my database with country information of my customers. The problem is I can not change the URL the IPN is sent to in Paypal and e-junkie (where they are sent now) does not seem to recognize or process them again. Is it possible to change that through e-junkie somehow?

Or if not, does anyone know another way I could extract this data from Paypal? I looked around but the customers country doesn't seem to be included in any other data that can be viewed or exported...

Any help would be appreciated as this is quite important to me.

Thanks!

Thomas

#
POSTED ON: August 18, 2009 @ 12:49 GMT -7

E-junkieGuru
E-Junkie Crew

From our end of things, there is no ready way to accomplish what you describe; however, you can go to Seller Admin > View/Download Transaction Log, select a date range and View Log, then Download Log to a tab-delimited file. You may then be able to devise a way to sync the data from that file to your database.

For future orders, if you want us to forward the IPN data to a script at your end after we process the sale, you would want to use our Integration method:
http://www.e-junkie.com/ej/help.integration.htm

#
POSTED ON: August 18, 2009 @ 14:33 GMT -7

Lunatic

Thanks for your reply Tyson,

I am already using my custom script to insert data into a database, however until now I didn't insert the customers country, which I need badly now for all my previous customers.

Unfortunatelly I can't seem to access this information (the country) in either my Paypal account or the log at "Admin > View/Download Transaction Log" you mentioned, it is simply not listed anywhere.

This is why I wanted to resend the IPN data and then update each DB entry automatically. Resending IPNs is actually no problem with Paypal (see here: https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content& content_ID=developer/e_howto_admin_IPNOperations).

The only problem seems to be that the e-junkie script the IPN is resent to (https://www.e-junkie.com/ecom/ipn_ext.php) does not process the resent data anymore and does not send it on to my own script. Why is that? Would that not be an easy fix?

Thank you,

Thomas

#
POSTED ON: August 18, 2009 @ 14:50 GMT -7

E-junkieGuru
E-Junkie Crew

Our system will ignore IPNs resent for transactions that we have already processed and logged, since there is typically no reason to do so whereas doing so would produce usually-undesirable results (inaccurate txn logs listing the same txn twice, reissuing new download links or new PIN/license codes to buyers, etc.).

Even if we accepted resent IPNs, resending the IPN would not add any info that was not already sent and logged the first time around. If PayPal doesn't have that data to begin with, they cannot pass it to us. If you did not enable the Shipping/Buyer's Address setting for the product when the buyer first purchased it, then no address would ever have been collected during checkout, and thus no country data which would have been part of those addresses.

The best we might suggest is extracting Buyer IPs from your logs, so you could run a geographical IP lookup against those, as public IPs are typically assigned in country-specific blocks.

#
POSTED ON: August 18, 2009 @ 19:08 GMT -7

Lunatic

Paypal is including the country code with IPN as the "residence_country" variable even when no shipping address is returned. Unfortunatelly I did not know that before and the variable does not seem to be saved in your logs (or anywhere else for that matter).

Thanks anyways,
Thomas

#
POSTED ON: August 19, 2009 @ 01:46 GMT -7

You must be logged in to make a post. Please click here to login.

30 Day Money Back Guarantee PayPal Certified Integration 2Checkout Shopping Cart Sell with ClickBank Authorize.Net shipping cart
Slam the Online Scam