Discounts allow you to create and accept "virtual coupons", put your products temporarily "on sale", create promotional offers, create and sell gift certificates -- anything where you'd want to offer some buyers a reduced price without actually changing the standard price of your products in Seller Admin. Any discounts applied to an order would be shown in your E-junkie Transaction Log. You can have up to a maximum of 10,000 discounts configured at any one time.
You can add new discounts or edit/delete existing discounts in Seller Admin > Add / Edit E-junkie Cart Discounts / Gift Coupons.
This menu lists any discounts you have already created. Select a discount and click Load to view/edit its settings, or click Delete to remove the selected discount.
This is where you would create a new discount, or view/edit settings for an existing discount (after you select it from the Existing Discounts menu and click Load).
- Choose All Cart Items for a discount that can be applied to the Item Total or Shipping amount for any/all cart orders, regardless of which items are being purchase (this setting requires Cart buttons and will not work with Buy Now buttons);
- Choose a specific product for a discount that only affects the purchase price of that item alone (make sure your discount amount is the same or less than the product price!);
- You can create as many discounts as you wish for All Cart Items or for any given product; just make sure you specify a unique Discount Name for each discount (see below).
- Discount Name:
- Brief description of the discount for your own reference (this is not shown to buyers). This is also how we distinguish one discount from another, so make sure you give each discount its own, unique name. If you save a "new" discount with the same name as an existing discount, the new settings would simply get applied to that existing discount (rather than creating a new or separate discount with the same name). If you change the name of an existing discount, that would actually create a new discount with that name when you click Submit; you can then select the original discount under the original name and Delete it if you wish.
- Discount Code(s):
- Leave this blank if you want the discount applied automatically to every order that meets the discount's Min. Item Quantity/Total thresholds; these discounts would appear as "current promotion" in your cart and log (note that such automatic discounts require Cart buttons and will not work with Buy Now buttons). If you will require buyers to enter a Discount Code to claim the discount before checkout, enter your desired Code(s) here. These codes are handled as a character string (e.g., if you specify a Discount Code as
00123, the buyer must enter exactly that including the zeroes, rather than entering just
123 alone). You can also paste a list of Codes (one code per line), which will spin off a series of identical discounts, one for each code you paste in.
- Discount Expires:
- Set a date/time when the discount will become invalid, or set 0000-00-00 00:00:00 (or just leave the expiration blank) for a discount that will never expire until you manually delete it from your Seller Admin. You can also set this to a past date to temporarily disable a discount. This setting requires Cart buttons; it will not work with Buy Now buttons.
- Enter an amount and select whether that will be treated as a percent-off or a flat amount off. This option is disabled for item-specific discounts, which can only alter the per-unit price of the product by a flat amount.
- Applies To:
- Choose whether an All Cart Items discount should be applied to the Item Total (order subtotal not including Shipping nor Tax) or to Shipping & Handling. This option is disabled for item-specific discounts, which can only alter the per-unit price of the product by a flat amount.
- Max. Use Count:
- Maximum number of orders that can be placed with the discount -- e.g., useful for single-use discount codes, gift coupons, or "first 100 customers" types of promotion. If you paste a list of Discount Codes, then the Max. Use Count applies to each code independently (rather than counting all uses of all codes in the list). Leave this set to 0 or blank for a discount with unlimited uses (until you disable or delete the discount). This setting requires Cart buttons; it will not work with Buy Now buttons.
Note: this can only count the total number of times a discount is used, not a per-buyer use count (as that cannot be reliably tracked/enforced on a general basis); if you want to limit a discount to one use per customer, paste in a list of codes, set Max. Use Count =1, then issue each buyer their own, unique code from the list).
- Min. Item Quantity:
- Minimum number of items that must be in the cart in order to qualify for the discount. For product-specific discounts, this would be the quantity of just that particular item in the buyer's cart. This setting requires Cart buttons; it will not work with Buy Now buttons.
- Min. Item Total:
- Minimum total price (not counting tax or shipping) that must be met in order to qualify for the discount. For product-specific discounts, this would be the total price (unit price X quantity) of just that particular item in the buyer's cart. This setting requires Cart buttons; it will not work with Buy Now buttons.
At any one time, a buyer's cart can have at most one discount applied to each of the following, in any combination:
- The cart's Item Total (All Cart Items);
- The cart's Shipping amount (All Cart Items);
- The price of each item in their cart (product-specific).
You can even create a series of different discounts using the same Discount Code, so the buyer would only need to enter the code once, which would apply every discount matching that code that their cart and items in it are eligible for. Discount codes override automatic (no-code) discounts, and codes applied later would override discounts applied earlier to the same cart or same item(s). If more than one automatic (no-code) discount applies to a given cart or item, the greater discount would be the one applied. Item discounts are applied before cart discounts; i.e., item prices are marked down before a percentage would be taken off the cart's Item Total.