Just bumping this topic as a reminder that a major PayPal scheduled maintenance/downtime event will occur in just a couple days, on April 19th.
Of particular relevance to our clientele, PayPal checkouts and IPNs will be unavailable from 10-11pm PDT that evening, and IPNs from checkouts completed just before the downtime may be delayed until the downtime is completed.
IPN (Instant Payment Notification) is how PayPal informs our system of completed payments, so our system would not be able to process affected orders until we receive their IPNs. Normally, PayPal completes payment and sends us IPN to confirm that almost immediately after the buyer finishes checkout, but sometimes PayPal takes a bit longer to complete a payment and send us IPN. In the rare case a buyer might manage to finish checkout just before this downtime begins, if PayPal does not complete processing their payment immediately, we may not receive IPN confirming their completed payment until after the downtime concludes, at which time our system will belatedly process their order (issue download links, send emails, log order details).
Live Site Maintenance with Planned Downtime
REMINDER: The following activity has been scheduled for Apr 19, 9:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 5:00 AM BST).
In addition to the impacted products previously listed, please note that:
Between Apr 19, 9:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 5:00 AM BST) and Apr 19, 11:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 7:00 AM BST):
- PayPal Here transactions cannot be completed
- Adaptive API calls and web flow may encounter 520002 (internal error) or time out
Between Apr 19, 8:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 4:00 AM BST) and Apr 20, 2:00 AM PDT (Apr 20, 10:00 AM BST):
- Multiple Account Management requests will not be processed
Posted Apr 12, 3:34 PM PDT by SC
REMINDER: The following activity has been scheduled for Apr 19, 9:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 4:00 AM GMT).
Between Apr 19, 9:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 4:00 AM GMT) and Apr 19, 11:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 6:00 AM GMT):
- Batch Processing (batch.paypal.com) - processing of batch requests submitted during this time may be delayed.
- Transaction history before Mar 19 will not be available. Attempts to reference transactions older than 30 days via API will return 10001 (internal error).
- Invoicing APIs will return 10001 (internal error) or time out. Create or manage invoices via "Request Money" tab on the website will return "Sorry - your last action could not be completed" error.
- PayPal customers will be unable to file claims and/or respond to disputes and may experience the error "We're sorry, but we're unable to show all of your cases at this time." or "Sorry - your last action could not be completed" when trying to access the Resolution Center
Between Apr 19, 10:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 5:00 AM GMT) and Apr 19, 11:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 6:00 AM GMT):
- Majority of PayPal APIs will return 10001 (internal error) or time out. Some Express Checkout and Direct Payment API transactions may complete successfully.
- Website (http://www.paypal.com), Reporting Center (
) and Merchant Manager (
) will not be accessible
- Secure FTP Batch and Reporting Servers will not be accessible
- Website Payments Pro Payflow Edition - API requests may not complete and may fail with errors 1000 (Generic host error) or 104 (Timeout waiting for processor response)
- Merchants who are signed up for Auto Sweep may notice that the balance withdrawal will take place later than usual which may result in a one day delay in receipt of funds.
- Instant Payment Notifications (IPNs) will be unavailable.
Eastern and Pacific time zone merchant reports for Apr 19 may be delayed.
Posted Mar 19, 5:11 PM PDT by SC
ORIGINAL NOTIFICATION: As part of our continued efforts to provide the latest technology products and services, we will be upgrading our systems between Apr 19, 10:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 5:00 AM GMT) and Apr 19, 11:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 6:00 AM GMT).
Impact to your business
During the time of the upgrade, there will be a system-wide interruption to the PayPal API services and our website. This means that customers will not be able to log into or use their PayPal accounts.
We would also like to remind you to ensure your firewalls are configured to connect to the new IP addresses following this upgrade. For more information and the list of IP addresses, please refer to
In the coming weeks, we will provide regular reminders that will include additional information about this upgrade.
Posted Feb 29, 3:05 PM PST by SC
Key Times to Note:
Maintenance start time: Apr 19, 9:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 5:00 AM BST)
- Downtime approximate start time: Apr 19, 10:00 PM PDT(Apr 20, 6:00 AM BST)
- Downtime approximate end time: Apr 19, 11:00 PM PDT(Apr 20, 7:00 AM BST)
Maintenance end time: Apr 19, 11:00 PM PDT (Apr 20, 7:00 AM BST)
If you experience any issues, contact PayPal Merchant Technical Services by filing a ticket; refer to PP-LIVE-2561.
Service or Site Name:
PayPal Live Site