We've been saving major new features and functionality for a later release just to avoid "feature creep" and get this first version launched as soon as possible, but you will notice numerous improvements in the new Admin, the most significant of which I will outline below.
â€¢ Profile and Preferences settings have been rearranged slightly and consolidated from three into just two screens:
- Edit Profile: now focused on basic account details and payment account credentials, so any of those settings formerly in Payment Preferences now reside here, and a couple optional settings formerly in Edit Profile have moved to Edit Preferences (see below);
- Edit Preferences: now consolidates the old Account Preferences with any remaining old Payment Preferences that hadn't been moved to Edit Profile, along with optional settings relocated from Edit Profile (namely Upload Your Logo and E-junkie Shop URL). Here you can also specify/edit your E-junkie Forum Nickname and Web Site URL -- the latter will eventually work with a new Client List page we'll be creating, where your Display Name will be listed as a clickable link to your Web Site URL within an alphabetical list of our clientele.
â€¢ Product settings are now consolidated into one large screen, rather than a series of sequential screens; as such, whenever an optional setting is enabled (e.g. Shipping & Buyer's Address), we can now show related sub-settings directly adjacent to that, rather than having them all separate and disjointed.
- You can now simply un-check Product Thank-you Email to disable this message;
- "Package files from other products/affect their inventory" has been relabeled to the more self-apparent "Bundle Other Products";
- Post-checkout Integration settings formerly labeled as "Send transaction data to a URL" and "Payment Variable Information URL" have been relabled to the more self-apparent "Custom/Third-party Integration" and "Product Notification URL" respectively.
â€¢ Shipping settings are also now consolidated into one large screen, rather than two sequential screens; at present, we still don't have a way to let you edit existing shipping rules, but we're planning to add that functionality as soon as possible.
â€¢ Discount settings have been slightly rearranged to be more intuitive and prevent common pitfalls -- e.g., for existing discounts the Discount Name field now becomes read-only.
- To clone an existing discount, select it from the Existing Discounts menu, then reselect Add New Discount, and you'll find the last-loaded settings are retained, except for the Discount Name which must be unique for each Discount;
- You can now create item-specific % discounts (handy for items using Variants or "Let buyer edit price").
â€¢ View/Edit/Delete Products now allows you to Clone an existing product; this proceeds to the Add Product screen with the selected existing product's settings pre-loaded as defaults for that new product, which you can then modify as you wish before clicking Submit to actually create the new product.
â€¢ Product listings in E-junkie Shops/Marketplace can now be added/edited only via View/Edit/Delete Products; this makes it more self-evident that E-junkie Shop listings are an optional feature for sellers who don't have their own Web site to sell from (rather than a necessary step in setting up a product to sell at all).
â€¢ Affiliate Program Settings now consolidates Common and product-specific settings together in one screen; just select a product from the menu here to view/edit its affiliate settings (if any).
â€¢ Buyer Group email lists for sending Updates/Newsletters can now be viewed/edited directly via a link provided in Seller Admin.
â€¢ Get Buy Now/Cart Button Codes:
- Now lets you select any product on-the-fly and generates code for the selected product accordingly. Simply clicking inside the codes field automatically expands to show all the code and Selects All right away, so you can just copy and paste from there;
- We now provide button code with protocol-relative src= URLs which start with just // rather than http:// or https:// -- these will work fine with any existing codes in your page, so there's no need to replace those; however, this URL format allows our buttons and cart script to load securely within secure pages using https:// (preventing "mixed content" issues in such cases) and not in regular pages using http://, without requiring you to alter the button code at all (BTW, checkout pages are the only ones that strictly need to load securely to protect sensitive buyer data, and we'll continue taking care of that automatically as usual);
- The new Admin no longer provides our legacy "PayPal Cart" version of button codes, as those have long been deprecated and no longer work properly in many regards due to changes at PayPal's end that we have been unable to work around. We recommend replacing any PayPal Cart button codes in your site with the standard E-junkie Shopping Cart codes, which support PayPal checkout along with all the rest of our standard features.
Browser support notes:
â€¢ The new Admin has been tested to work fine in Android 3.x and up, as well as mobile Firefox in any version of Android; however, it does not yet work in the Android 1.x or 2.x default Browser app or its derivatives (e.g. Dolphin), but we're working on that.
â€¢ Internet Explorer 7 and below have not been tested and may not work in at least some regards. We have tested functionality down to IE8 as the last IE version released for Windows XP (even though Microsoft end-of-lifed WinXP earlier this spring). For security reasons we urge diehard WinXP users to avoid using IE8 in general at all anymore, and we strongly recommend adopting Firefox or Google Chrome instead.